Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The Breakdown

The Problem
Okay, here it is.
Considering I still identify as a writer, it's incredible to think that I can't remember the last time I composed a full sentence simply for the writing of it all. 
Writer's Block be damned; This is Writer's Laziness.

One of the consistent writers' tips flowing across my twitter feed has been the idea that you just need to write- anything. I've always had a problem with that idea. 
Every time I write, I want it to be perfect. I want there to be no spelling errors. No grammatical missteps. No wrong words or incorrect punctuations. 

I worry incessantly about my ideas not being creative enough, my dialogue being dull and unoriginal. The pressure to write my best work right now stops me before I get to sentence 2. 

So here's what I'm going to do. 

The Pledge
I'm taking it upon myself to write something- anything- every day. 
It's scary as hell considering how long it's been, which is why I had to force myself to take the word 'almost' out of that last sentence. 

The Rules
1. I write every day. 
2. The writing can happen at any time of day- morning, night, whatever.
3. This is not a midnight to midnight endeavor. My day starts when I wake up and ends when I go to sleep. Something must be posted before my head hits the pillow each night, regardless of the time. 
4. Each post must be at least 250 words. It's a small challenge, but I have to start small if there's any chance of follow through.
5. On that note, this starts with a week. If I get through this week, it goes to a month. If I get through a month, it'll go to three months. I know it's kind of a half-assed commitment, but I feel like a short-term goal is the way to go right now. 
6. If I miss a day by accident, it doubles my word count requirement for the next post. 
7. If I skip a day because of laziness, the next post has to be 1000 words. 
8. I'll work mainly off of writing prompts. Worrying about doing justice to my own ideas is part of the problem, so I need an escape from that. If I have an idea I want to use, great. If not, whatever. 
9. The link to this blog is going on my bookmarks toolbar, right in between Gmail and Facebook, so that I click it by accident all the time. 
AND FINALLY,
10. It does not matter if it is the shittiest writing I have ever done. The point is not to be proud of the product, but of the fact that there is a product at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment