Thursday, February 14, 2013

Day 9

PENALTY: I had intended to post last night. I printed out a prompt ahead of time to work on it on the train. But my sister is in town and we ended up staying up until 3 in the morning. Since this is kind of a gray area when it comes to the accidental vs the on-purpose skipping, and the last one was questionable too, I decided I needed to go for a 1000-er tonight. The problem is that I'm semi-conscious right now, so I'm not sure if what's I've type made sense.
***Edit: I was quite literally falling asleep while writing this last night- and I do mean actually typing with my eyes closed, nodding off, and then waking up to try and figure out what I was trying to write to make sure I got to 1000 words. I could just edit what i've written, but I decided to leave it all as is considering the point is to post not post something spectacular. This is a lesson in doing this earlier in the day... 

PROMPT: Write a story where love is created and maintained over a distance. The length and nature of that distance is up to you. It could be the distance between two continents, two cities, or even just between two windows or the rooftops of two neighboring buildings. What lies between, physically and metaphorically? What are the barriers that must be overcome? Are they overcome? How?



Dear Melodee,
         I know you told me not to write. But that was six years ago, and I think I still have things to say. I’ve been doing well. I’ve switched jobs three times since we last saw each other. I think I’ve settled this time for a while. Work place is good. People are nice. I get to make as much tea or coffee as I want in the office kitchen. Life is good.
         I think of you less now than I used to. There was a long time when things would remind me of you everywhere I went. It wouldn’t send me into a depression. I wouldn’t freeze and not be able to carry on with my day. It was just strange to me that I couldn’t call you up and tell you about them. That I couldn’t write a puzzle into one of our letters to help you figure out my day for yourself.
It was always small things. A specific orange color that reminded me of the dress that you have that you wear when people are going to want you to be in pictures. The chuckle that I sometimes hear in a bar or a restaurant that makes me think of your laugh when you were humoring because what I said wasn’t actually funny. It used to happen all the time, but it’s faded.
It still does happen though, and even all these years later, it brings me back to those moments. If I could draw, I would be able to draw a perfect likeness of that orange dress. Almost every picture I ever had of you had that dress. I wonder sometimes if you still have it.
I’m not writing to say that I want you back or even that I miss you. I guess what I wanted to say is that I think about you. Even now. My life has changed a lot. People, places, opportunities have come and gone. I’ve moved twice since we broke up. But I can still write this address without even having to think about it. And sometimes, I still want to use it. Like today. I know I live a thousand miles away, Mel. But I do wonder about that dress.
Bryan

Bryan,

I really felt like I had to respond to this. I opened it without looking at the envelope much and was halfway through reading it before I realized. Full disclosure, it would have taken a stronger person than I to quit reading there. Melodee Grant actually moved away a while back. Ive been in the condo for the last two years, but there was another person in between us I believe. I get both of their mail all of the time. I wish I had a forwarding address to give you. I dont. I hope youre doing well in whatever the new job and the new place are.                  
For what its worth (which I do realize is essentially nothing) I found your letter very sweet and honest. Ive certainly had breakups where I think Ive moved on completely until a smell or a song hits me on the street and takes me back in time. Memory is weird like that. And breakups too. You have this store of intimate knowledge and shared experiences with a person who is no longer in your life. I dont know if it ever stops feeling out of place, but it hasnt yet for me. Good luck with everything. I hope this wasnt too much of an invasion.
Vanessa


Vanessa,
         It was definitely surprising to get your letter and learn that Melodee is long gone. I guess I waited too long to share those “final thoughts.” I appreciate you writing back though. I agree with what you said. It’s like, you can move on, but it’s impossible to truly leave those people behind you. I hope the condo is treating you well, and that the second tap isn’t still dripping at nighttime.
Bryan

Bryan,
                  I was so glad that you wrote back to me. The faucet is still dripping at all hours, but I feel like youve given me the motivation I need to get on this right now. Good looking out! A from increasingly warmer places it seems from the postmark. Miami and then Texas? Hopefully Egypt isnt next. I hear its pretty deadly this time of year
                                                                                                            Vanessa

Vanessa,
            Greetings from frigid Ontario, Canada. I travel a lot for work, but I’m starting to wish it was limited to warm place after warm place. I have yet to be sent to Rio or anywhere Caribbean where I could just lay out on the beach in between meetings. It doesn’t seem fair that my co-workers are living it up in Paris right now (thought it is also cold, by the way) while I’m learning about the Loonie. How is the weather in New York?
Bryan

Bryan,
                  Poor Canada, always getting a bad rap. They have really clean subways you know. Perhaps you could get a doctors note that would limit you tragically to warm areas of travel. Not only would you get the perks, but your Paris friends might get bumped from good trips  because of your limitations Thats probably wrong though, right?
Vanessa


Vanessa
            It’s been so great talking to you these months. I feel like I know you. I wish there were going to be times for me to go out to New York. It would be great to put a face to this voice and writing. You were right about my boss, by the way. The woman doesn’t know what she’s doing and all of the changes she’s made came from sheer fear of this group of four people who completely control her. I’m ready for her to go down. Enough is enough already, but chances are it’ll all just stay the same.
                                                                        Bryan


Bryan,
                  Im so happy for you! Quitting can be difficult, but youre doing what is right for you, and no one gets to decide that aside from you. I know your new job doesnt start for a few weeks. Come see me in New York. We can see the sites that you grew up with or just explore the next restaurants that have popped up since youre gone. It would be so great to meet you in person.
Vanessa

No comments:

Post a Comment