Sunday, February 10, 2013

Day 5 and a So-So Excuse

PENALTY! I did miss yesterday. I was away for the weekend and made it home at around 3am last night. I did actually still think I would get a post in, but to be honest I fell asleep exploring the internet's plentiful writing prompt resources. Plus, the fact that there is a penalty for missing a day makes me feel like I haven't failed. The penalty is doubling the word count, so 500 words for today.

PROMPT: Start by freewriting, beginning with the words "Your mother." You can go any direction you want, so long as those are the first two words.

          Your mother never tells you that it’s easier to stay in the same place than to change. At least mine didn’t. Mine told me to work harder, that I was a bit of a slacker. Mine told me that I could go to an Ivy League school if I wanted to take on the loans. Mine told me that after four years of college, she wanted me to have a career. She told me that I just needed a foot in the door and then I could stay there. New York is the place people move to, not the place people leave. So she wasn’t too happy when I told her that I was quitting my full-time job, foregoing full health benefits, and giving up my apartment. To be fair, I didn’t have a real plan. I had been making money for six years, working day in and day out. I didn’t see a point in continuing to stockpile money that I would never use. So I decided to take some time to travel.
It wasn’t that there wasn’t a specific plan, though I’m sure that would’ve helped a little bit. But I think that had I had an itinerary, a budget and a book of maps of the world, she still would have made it seem like an irresponsible decision. It was amazing that no matter how old you are, telling your mother about a risk you’re taking always makes you feel like a frivolous teenager. And I’d never even made decisions like this in high school.
Still I had gotten through the month of packing and shopping and guidebook reading. I had made it to the airport despite the guilt and tears. Despite the crushing feeling that I was doing something wrong. I knew I would get past that feeling once I got to Italy.
I handed my ticket to a smiling woman at the gate and slowly made my way down the ramp and onto the largest plane I’ve ever been on. Shuttle trips down to Miami didn’t do it justice. This plane was massive. They were multiple aisles and sections. There was more space than made sense to me, but the seats still seemed crammed together. I made my way to the back of the plane, where my recently scanned ticket indicated I would start my journey.
I stepped over two people to take my window seat and buckled up even though we probably wouldn’t be moving any time soon, let alone taking off. I wasn’t the nervous flyer I once had been, but there was still some residual anxiety from my childhood fears that made me just a little uneasy. The man next to me noticed me checking my seat belt every few minutes and decided that patting me on the hand would somehow make the flight more comfortable for me. “Okay, yes” he said, enthusiastically, with a strong accent that I could only assume was Italian. I offered a closed-mouth smile in return.
I pulled out my guidebook and started flipping through the post-it marked pages. I had the gist of it memorized by now, especially for this first leg for which I actually had a plan. After Rome, Florence and Venice, I didn’t really know where I was headed. It was part of the appeal to me. I figured I would know what to do as I went along. Plans would form themselves. “You go to Italy first time?” asked the man next to me. I nodded. “Yes.” He smiled “You can come for dinner?”

No comments:

Post a Comment