Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Day 35

PROMPT: So the prompt that inspired the following is not at all where it ended up, to the point where I don’t even think it bother to post it, but here’s what I got anyway!

“Hey,” Hayden looked up at him sideways from the bed. He had been trying to get ready silently, opening drawers as quietly as possible. But apparently not quietly enough. Cole turned and smiled at her, crouching next to the bed, so their eyes were level. “Hey,” Cole brushed a hair from her face. She looked as beautiful now, hair a mess, makeup smeared, as she had last night after spending hours dressing up. “I tried not to wake you.” “I know. Thanks.” He kissed her softly on the forehead. He couldn’t resist. This whole relationship took more self-control than being single ever had in his entire life. Not staying home all day with her. Not touching her every second. Not talking to her about labels or being more serious. “I need to leave soon. You can stay if you want.” She smiled. “Thanks.” “How do you feel?”

She sat up slowly and winced. “Not great.” He smiled sympathetically, “Well, you were pretty drunk last night. She nodded slowly. “Yeah. Thanks for letting me stay.” She often did this. Thanked him for things that should be a given by now, after they’d been seeing each other for over a month. “Of course. Do you want breakfast? I’ve got some time.” That was a lie. But he could be a little late. “Maybe something bland?” She had thrown up last night before crashing in his bed. Apparently, it hadn’t settled her stomach enough.

“Toast?” She nodded and he went to the kitchen to prepare it for her. He took out a knife and laid out butter and jam so that she could decide what she wanted. When she came in, she was slightly cleaned up. Her hair was neater, her face no longer streaked with mascara. She was still in her dress from last night. He had slept on the couch. “Are you going to stay?” he asked casually. “No, don’t worry about it, I’ll leave when you do.” He sighed and nodded. He placed a bottle of Advil on the table before sitting down to join her. “Thank you, you’re amazing.” She said, as she took three.

He locked the door when they were both out and then walked out to the street in relative silence. “Do you have any plans for tonight?” he asked, knowing the answer. “Yeah, I’m meeting up with someone.” “Ok. Well I’m going this way,” he said, gesturing toward the opposite direction of the train she needed to get home. “I’ll see you soon?” “Of course!” she said brightly. She kissed him on the cheek. He started to walk the other way when she caught up to him. “Hey, thanks for last night. You’re really great. I’m sorry I’m not great at this.” She backed away, hands in the pockets of the jacket he had lent her. He shook his head. “Don’t apologize. Just show me you want to try. I’m patient. I can help.” She gave him a sad smile. “Ok. I’ll see you soon.”

No comments:

Post a Comment